Wednesday, February 17, 2010

{Celebrating 9 Years and Still Going Strong}

Today is a special day for my family! We are celebrating the 9th Anniversary of my Dad's Transplant. When I look back on this incredible journey- I am humbled and amazed at the strength and determination that my Dad has each day. He has been through so much yet he remains so strong.
I was able to go to Burley last week and be there for Dad's 50th Birthday (WHOO HOO) and Kayson and I, also had the opportunity to go with him to CSI (College of Southern Idaho) in Twin Falls ,where he speaks in one of the classes each semester on Organ Donation. He has a whole presentation that he has put together. It gives him the opportunity to tell his story and show people first hand just how amazing being an organ donor can really be. Many people are not familiar with Organ Donation and it can be something that people are scared of or uncomfortable talking about. My Dad does a fabulous job and his sense of humor, and personal experience combined with his incredible ability to speak in public makes for an amazing presentation and I am so glad that I was able to go and listen in.

The lady in the pic below is Deb Annest, Dad has been speaking in her class for seven years now and they have become good friends! She is a neat lady and was very accommodating. She was so concerned about his health and made sure that he didn't overdo it. This particular time was a bit different because one of the Twin Falls news stations was there and before he began they interviewed him and then stayed and taped much of the class. It aired that night as the feature story on the 6 and 10 o'clock news.

Kayson was soooooo good and sat still through the entire thing! I was so proud of him and I was so grateful that I was able to sit and listen as well. We had an amazing experience this past summer when we were able to meet the donor family. The Clutters. There were so many emotions that were there that day but it was an incredible experience and such an important day for my parents and my family. The pic below is all of us girls with Shannon and her son Hunter. She was so much fun and we had a great time. We enjoy staying in touch and talk to her regularly.This was my whole family the night before the meeting. It's very rare that we are ALL TOGETHER!!! This is Sandy and Jerry Clutter. They are the parents of Jerryd Clutter who is the boy that my Dad got his organs from. What neat people they are and we will forever be grateful for their gift.
Happy 9 years Dad. You are the greatest Dad in the world. We look forward to many many more years to come. Thanks for all you are and all that you stand for, you are the rock of our family and we love you so much.......

(Dad at Jason and Emily's wedding in September.)

12 comments:

Wendy K said...

Congratulations Michael!

kathy said...

I've seen your dad on the news before, and Kel has told me about him. What an awesome dad you have!

Darci said...

That is so neat, what an accomplishment...9 years, wow. I'm glad you were able to go and be able to drive your Dad and listen in, although we missed you :) You have a pretty amazing family!

This Idaho Girl said...

I don't know how anyone can look at what a miracle your dad's survival is and question the existence of God. He is truly here for a reason.

Michael and Tammi said...

What an adventure it has truly been. I am so glad he is still here to see so much progression in our family. love ya mom

Morley Fam said...

Thats so awesome! He is such a trooper too. You ALL are. You have such a great family Jess, what a blessing that hes still here to see you all grow up and have kids! We love you all!

momofbeegees said...

Your dad is GREAT!! He has such determination! I am so happy for your family!! What a neat experience to get to meet the family of the donor. Your parents are AMAZING people!!

Connie said...

Great post Jess! I wish I had been there to see his presentation too! It truly is a miracle that he is still here! How lucky we are.

Love you!

Kel said...

Not only is he amazing, but I've got to wonder how many other lives will be extended by his influencing others on organ donation. Wendy once said that to meet Michael was to meet a miracle--she's right.

Thomas, Jentry & Asher said...

Oh wow it's hard to believe it has been that long! I just love your dad Jess and think it's awesome that he shares his experience with others and encourages others to give a gift that has so richly blessed your family!!!

nina said...

I would type more, but hard to see through tears. How lucky you are to have this experience. Heaven bless you and yours and the donor family as well. XOXO.

Van Tassell Family said...

We love you guys so much and are so proud of what your dad has accomplished. Love ya.